Thursday 23 October 2014

A Season of cakes in Review (Part 1)






Hey everyone,
This year has sure gone by so fast!  and as of late I have been crazy busy with work, trying to maintain a somewhat healthy lifestyle and spending time with family and friends.  But this past summer I have gone cake crazy and managed to decorate a bunch of cakes for so many different occasions!  Here we'll take some time to look back on some of those delicious cakes that I proudly made:





This beautiful plush pillow cake was made for a friend who just wanted to have a cake to life her spirits and hopefully it did the job!  It was one of my first mini- fondant cakes I made and it took about 2 hours of my life to create.  From the rich buttercream filling to the delicate pink fondant bow, I wanted everything about this cake to reflect my friends personality.





This particular cake was my first attempt at stacking layers of cake to form a higher tier cake.  And what better occasion to go big than mothers day?  The layers of chocolate and vanilla cakes filled with delicious dark chocolate frosting was both a treat for my mom and the whole family.  My mothers favourite colour is green so I opted for this lighter shade of green with homemade fondant daisies to add some charm to the cake.  (Plus I think the ribbons really tie the cake together well!)







Up next following mothers day was my little sister Mia's birthday.  She like the rest of my family loves chocolate cake, so I granted her request and made her a triple chocolate cake!  This was the first time I played with the idea of using none edibles as decoration and it turned out a lot better than I thought.  The jewel and feathers reminded me a lot of Princess Jasmine from Aladdin which coincidentally is my sisters favourite Disney Princess.



 After I got a little more comfortable with playing with fondant and using other objects to decorate; I decided to start trying to carve cakes and make characters that are more recognizable.  Hello Kitty, I found was simple enough to make but also required some basic techniques to cake decorating that I wanted to practice.  I'm very fortunate that I don't have to look very hard to find guinea pigs who are willing to eat cake- this time around was my good Tasha who has a love for the kitty that says hello.  She was very impressed with the similarities of the cake to the actual cartoon- so I assumed my job was a job well done (Just a side note; it also happened to be a chocolate cake.. notice a trend?)




Now this cake was the first cake I had commissioned from a friend of my mom's for her mother's 50th birthday.  No pressure right?  They wanted a lemon cake of some sort that was sweet and could feed 8-10 people.  With the clients specifications and an actual timeline- I was off to work to create a hopefully memorable cake.  What I ended up with, I was more than pleased with- A chocolate cake with lemon zest and a creamy chocolate frosting.  But to top that; the delicate fondant white roses with black leaves arranged gracefully along the cake made the cake what it was.  From what I heard back, everyone loved it and was surprised at how well it encompassed the mother's 50th birthday.



So there you have it!  Part one of my crazy summer of cakes; I have a couple more cakes to show you in the next post but hopefully this made your stomach rumble even just a little bit!

Make sure you follow me!
Youtube: youtube.com/mglalvarez13
Twitter: twitter.com/mglalvarez
Instagram: instagram.com/mglalvarez


No comments:

Post a Comment