Thursday 17 April 2014

Taco Tuesdays

Hey everyone, I can't believe it's already half way through April and I haven't posted anything since March!  My apologies, I have been working so much that I haven't had any time to properly plan a blog post or to really do anything worth blogging- until now.


For this months 'dinner party' (I use that term very loosely because of the lack of preparation and
notice) I decided to have some friends over for Taco Tuesday!  It was simple enough that I didn't need to preplan much before the day and it was casual- which was what I was going for this month.  All I needed to make for dinner was guacamole, salsa, coleslaw and a dessert, which really didn't take that long.



Instead of using guacamole, I whipped up avocado, sour cream, jalapenos and some salt and pepper to make this delicious avocado cream which would add a smooth texture to the tacos and some amazing flavour too.


For the coleslaw, I wanted something really simple but would add some colour and almost a crunchy flavour to the meal- so I grated some carrots and tossed it in a delicious mango salsa I purchased from Granville Island.

Now for the salsa,  I wanted to go more of a tropical, refreshing route so I opted to use Philippine mangoes as my main component to this salsa.  I chopped up some roma tomatoes and some cilantro to add contrast to the mangoes and also to compliment its sweet flavour.  Lastly, I threw in some jalapenos (for some kick) and some spices to really enhance the all the natural flavours of the fruits.


Now while I was cooking and slicing and chopping away for the tacos, we obviously all needed a drink to go with the tacos and that's where my friends came in.  They (using my home bar) whipped up some delicious margaritas that were gone pretty fast. 

 

No Taco Tuesday is complete without some sort of drink! I had considered making mojitos instead but nothing can beat a classic margarita and taco mix.


For the actual protein filling, I had considered using beef or some sort of meat but with the delicacy of the mangoes I opted for a lighter replacement- fish.  So the day off I went to my local fish market and got some fresh ling cod for the night.  Just a little salt and pepper and a quick fry on my pan and the fish was ready!
Now my favourite part of any taco night is assembling the tacos because everyone always has their own system and ratio of what to fill them with.  As for me, I fill it all to the brim with filling.


A perfect meal that was surprisingly more filling than I thought.


As for dessert, I know I could have kept it simple and gone with some cake or cookies but since it was taco night, I thought it would be neat to have our very own taco desserts!  Using a recipe I found online I made chocolate tuile the day before and formed them into hard taco shells.  Then using vanilla ice cream, fresh pineapple chunks, chopped strawberries, marshmallows and dark chocolate curls- we had a blast building our own dessert tacos!


  They turned out so delicious and even though we had to eat them quickly before the ice cream had melted it was great.  I almost had preferred the dessert tacos to the actual fish ones.  

 

 Following that epic meal, we spent the rest of the night playing video games- my n64 to be exact and just hanging out.  Since this was a smaller gathering than I normally would have for my dinner parties, it was a lot simpler to plan and really had no stress whatsoever.  Plus we weren't all so crammed in my small apartment and I had half the dishes to clean at the end of the night!  I might end up having smaller gatherings more often and planning big nights every few months instead.  

Well, another successful night in the books if I say so myself!


Make sure you follow me!
Youtube: youtube.com/mglalvarez13
Twitter: twitter.com/mglalvarez
Instagram: instagram.com/mglalvarez






Cheers,
-Miguel















No comments:

Post a Comment